Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 10: Overall Project Reflection



My SMART goal:  To engage in an outdoor activity 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes at a time.  When the weather started getting chilly and rainy, I decided to switch up my goal: to get outside if the weather permited, and if it didn't then I would just workout at the UMD gym.

Successes and challenges:  I found that when I had few work hours for the week, the weather was nice and sunny out, and my school work load was not that heavy was when it was the easiest to get outside.  It also helped me out greatly to have a "buddy" to get outside with, such as my boyfriend or my roommate.  I also realized that I really enjoyed running and/or walking at night.  I found it to be challenging to get my butt out the door when it was cold and windy out, so I thought the best answer to this problem was to start working out at the UMD gym instead of outdoors.  I also recognized that getting outdoors worked as a great stress reliever for me and made me feel so refreshed and energized.

Benefits and what I learned:  After starting to get outside regularly I realized that I slept much better at night than I previously did.  I felt healthier, more alert, and more focused during the weeks I attained my lifestyle change.  I learned that if I gave my self a goal within limits, I could attain it if I tried my best.  I also realized that after I reached my lifestyle change, it became second nature to me.  Although, there were some bumps along the way and adjustments that were needed.  This lifestyle change was very fun and I was bettering my health at the same time.

How did others/environment benefit:  Umm.....well my boyfriend and roommate benefited because I ended up dragging them outdoors with me most weeks to exercise with me.  Also, maybe if people saw me running outdoors, it would give them the motiviation to get outside and enjoy the scenary of Duluth.  I don't see the environment benefitting much in the situation.  Maybe next time I get outdoors I could include picking up trash that I see while exercising.

Will I continue this behavior: I totally want to continue this behavior.  I plan to stick to my exercise program of 3 times a week.  I will plan to workout in a gym until we get enough snowfall to get outside to go sledding or ice skate or something.  This lifestyle change has improved my health and attitude.

Recommendations for others:  I feel that it is extremely important to make an attainable goal, but don't make it too easy to reach.  I would recommend doing something that will better your health and/or the environment.  If you are having difficulties on reaching your goal, make some modifications, just don't give up.






3 comments:

  1. I think everyone should definitely try to exercise at least three times a week. Not only does it provide you with a great and healthy accomplishment but it additionally boosts your morale and makes you feel better about yourself. Who doesn't love a good intense workout and the feeling of such accomplishment afterwords of a job well done!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exercise is so beneficial, way to go with your goal. I wish more people would do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercising is a great way to relieve stress and get fit! Awesome lifestyle change and I hope it becomes easier the more you do!

    ReplyDelete