Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities

MALS RAIN FOREST ACTIVITY:  RELAY FOR LIFE

*This activity was great!  It made me aware of what Relay for Life is and how people can become partakers in this event.

Three Things I Learned...
1.)  This organization was created to help raise money for the American Cancer Society.  People come together who have had cancer affect their life in some way and show the world that they can fight back!
2.)  I thought it was the candles were a great sentimental aspect to add to the run--which represented the people who lost the battle with cancer.  It is pretty sad if you think about it, but on the bright side of things these deaths encourage people to engage in the walk and more research time dealing with cancer.
3.)  It's a 24 hour walk!  WHOA









MEDITERRANEAN MELISSA ACTIVITY:  WATER SCIENCE

*The purpose of this activity was to make aware the actually statistics dealing with water use around America.  We then visited a couple websites and entered our own information to figure out how much water I used.  I also then answered an opinion survey which was kind of cool because I got to see how others answered the questions around the country.  There was also a link that I visited that showed the current water quality around the state of MN. 

*I feel that this was such an engaging post and the sites had great information to them!

*I entered all of my information into "How much water you use in a day when you are at home all day..." and the results indicated I use about 90.3 gallons!!! That is isane holy cow!!  This makes me want to start limiting the amount of water I use. 

*Here are the numbers they used in their calculations:


Bath: 50 gallons
Shower: 2 gallons per minute
Teeth brushing: 1 gallon
Hands/face washing: 1 gallon
Face/leg shaving: 1 gallon
Dishwasher: 20 gallons/load
Dishwashing by hand: 5 gallons/load
Clothes washing (machine): : 10 gallons/load
Toilet flush: 3 gallons
Glasses of water drunk: 8 oz. per glass (1/16th of a gallon)



ASHLEY'S GREEN LILLY PAD ACTIVITY:  FLOURIDE AROUND YOU

*For this activity we read three different articles for this activity being the top ten facts of having fluoride, fluoride sources, and information on how much fluoride is in the community you reside in.  Very interesting articles and brand new information for me!




I decided to post a picture of the toothpaste I use daily.  Seems pretty obvious that this would have flouride in it, but it made sense to post it, since I use it two times a day.  I couldn't even imagine what my teeth would look like if I didn't use toothpaste.  I absoultely hate not brushing my teeth, so it'd be kinda tough for me to give up my toothpaste even if it had dangerous chemicals in it.  I guess I could always substitue to another toothpaste that is safer for my health...but idk...i really like my vivid white crest.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for completing my online learning activity! I love the picture very cool :) Yeah, I remember my first relay for life, I am pretty sure by like 5 am I fell asleep, no worries we still had people walking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad my activity taught you something about your own personal water use.. I was shocked at mine too!

    ReplyDelete