Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 13 & 14 and Overall Course

WEEK 13

The Monday of week 13 we ended up having class at Goodwill.  It was awesome!!  I seriously loved the switch up of things, the tour, the group challenge of spending only $20, and everyone who worked there seemed so kind.  I never knew that Goodwill offered jobs for people with disabilities, I think that is great!  By employing people with special needs they actually get that work experience of working with people, being on time, and learn communication skills that they can use throughout the rest of their life.  I also enjoyed listening to the man who spoke to us and toured us around the building.  I could tell he loved his job and it was so nice to see the employers there wave to him as we were walking around.  This was probably my favorite day of class.





WEEK 14

This was the last day of class and unfortunatley I could not make it.  I ended up getting stuck up in the UP until Monday night, so that was kind of a bummer.  From the course calendar and other posts all the students brought in their junk projects and shared them to the class.  If you look at my previous post I shared mine through a blog post since I was unable to make it.  I also heard that I missed out on a delicious snack
:( bummer. 



OVERALL COURSE REFLECTION

I went into this course having no idea what environmental health was even about.  I am a psychology major, so it felt a little awkward to be in the beginning since I wasn't aware of much in the field.  I am so glad I decided to stick with it!  This class ended up being one of my favorites and I learned so much valuable information that I can relate back to for the rest of my life!

One big thing I learned was how to blog.  I heard of the term before, but I no idea how to create one or what I would even post about.  I now feel totally confident when using them and realize it could to a great tool to use for my future career.

I also loved the eco-chic lifestyle change!  I decided to get outdoors 3 times a week.  Overall, I reached my goal each week, with th exceptions of when I was very ill.  I realized that once you put enough energy into something and continue with a change, it eventually becomes second-nature and I can't even remember when I didn't work out.   I am very lucky to have had gotten this opportunity to make a lifestyle change that could benefit me.  Although, one thing I'm thinking about switching up is to bring a baggy along and pick up any trash I see while I am outside running (once the weather gets warmer of course). 

Overall I feel like I have gained so much knowledge from being in this course.  Now I realize how important it is to recycling/resuse, how critical it is to support no smoking campuses, that it's better to buy stuff in large quantities, buying local food betters our environment greatly, and that reusable bags rock.  Before I had the idea that I couldn't do much to better the environment, but now I realize it's the little things that matter!  Hope you all have a good break and good luck with finals everyone!



4 comments:

  1. I saw your junking project very cool ideas! Blogging was fun to learn, and now is easy. It is awesome how much we have learned! Good luck with next semester :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE I loved Goodwill too! I never realized how much care and consideration Goodwill actually put back/forth into our community!!

    Have a great holiday break!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree.. thought this course was one of the most beneficial that I have taken. Fun working with you!

    ReplyDelete